keskiviikko 13. toukokuuta 2015

CONCRETE



Who are you and what do you do in your band?

 My name is Kalin Kolev and I play lead guitar and do the vocals for Concrete.

When/where was your band formed? 

The band was formed in August, 2011, in my hometown Shumen, Bulgaria. Concrete is still located there.

Why did you choose to play Death Metal?

Ever since I heard death metal for the very first time I decided that if I was ever to play in a band, this would be it. I just loved the aggression and heaviness of the style. I was completely blown away.

How do you compose your music? Does only one guy do everything or does everyone contribute?

Well, the way songs in this band are composed is pretty old school too. Sometimes I'll have an idea for an entire track, sit down put it all together and send it to the rest of the guys. Other time, I'll have a few ideas that would fit nicely with some of the riffs Peter (Dimitrov, the second guitarist) has. There were also times when a song basically wrote itself during casual jams. Whatever works out, stays.

Tell us about your lyrics, writing, inspiration etc.

Some of the main lyrical themes of Concrete include death, gore, the undead. The basic things you'll find in a death metal song, actually. As a lyricist I've been writing a lot about the afterlife recently. There's so much to explore, since it's the land of no return. You can write anything you want, basically, since it's a super imagination-inducing topic. Usually I'll get inspired by a really cool horror movie, a story or whatnot. I do like the retro horror movies, since the new ones are kinda cheesy story-wise.

Is there an ideology behind your band?

 I wouldn't exactly call it an ideology, but we do praise the classic late 80's early 90's death metal scene. I guess those times are the golden ages for death metal, you know, the strongest period the genre ever thrived in. Things are somewhat different now.

How do you see the state of Death Metal music these days in your country and in general?

Death metal is here to stay. Sure it may not be as popular as back in the day, cause there are more modern genres kids listen to nowadays, but the bands that are really into the classical stuff still do their thing. The same goes for the scene in Bulgaria. There are so much potent bands that play crushing stuff, it's unbelievable. So I guess that there always will be bands that will keep things going, no matter what trend is the current "thing", you know?

What are your long term plans as a band? What do you want to achieve?

 Basically keep playing what we play, man. I don't think we'll ever change styles or whatever, cause that's what we love to play and hear. I guess we'll continue along the beaten path, keep doing gigs and record stuff and see where it all goes. Persistence is key. 

Name an other Death Metal band from your country that everyone should hear.

You should definitely check out Varna's CLOT, ABADDON, DAY OF EXECUTION. COPROSTASIS, MASS GRAVE, ENTHRALLMENT. There are a ton of good bands that are worth having a listen.

Free word

 Do what you do, but support us smaller bands along with the big ones. We often have to give a lot just to play what we play and your support is always appreciated! Keeping the scene alive and going is a mutual job for us bands and you fans, so it's up to us to preserve it and keep it fresh and healthy! Stay brutal. Cheers!


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti