sunnuntai 21. kesäkuuta 2015

CASKET SOIL


Who are you and what do you do in your band?

Juho: I'm Juho Viinikanoja and I play lead guitar.

Petri: I'm Petri Viinikanoja, I play bass and do vocals.

When/where was your band formed? 

Petri: Casket Soil was formed in 2010 in Muhos. We have more specific biography on our Facebook page.

Why did you choose to play Death Metal?

Petri: Everyone in the band likes the genre so it felt natural to start playing it. For me personally death metal has lot of power and energy. That's one reason why I listen and play that kind of music. I also like the challenge it offers to a listener and musician since it rarely follows traditional song structures.

Juho: For me it's a great tool to reflect my feelings such as anger and frustration. Death metal may also be my favorite genre in metal in general. And because death metal has no limits it offers me endless ways to write new material for Casket Soil. 

How do you compose your music? Does only one guy do everything or does everyone contribute?

 Petri: Juho writes basically all the riffs. Then we take rough skeleton of the song to rehearsal room and start putting flesh around it. At this point there's Juho, our drummer Marko and me. When it's good enough, we make a demo of it and arrange vocals to it with our singer Antti.

Tell us about your lyrics, writing, inspiration etc.

Juho: My lyrics often deal with my personal feelings about the mankind and the way the world is going down the sewer. And being a die hard pessimist like me there's always some subject to write a song about... History also inspires me a lot in writing lyrics. When it comes to writing new riffs the ideas just flow out almost every time I pick up my guitar. And when the first good riff pops out the whole song usually follows it afterwards. Most of our songs are actually written within an hour or two because of this "flowing state". But of course there are certain songs that demand more time to arrange and they're usually the longer and more epic songs.

Is there an ideology behind your band?

Petri: No, our only idea is to make great music and have fun while doing it.


How do you see the state of Death Metal music these days in your country and in general?

Juho: I think the state is good! The old legends are still making albums worth listening to and younger bands compose some unique filth in the underground too. I also like the way the more organic sound is coming back to death metal. For example Sotajumala from Finland released a kick ass record this year and I'm pretty excited to hear some new Vorum material this year too.

What are your long term plans as a band? What do you want to achieve?

Petri: At this moment we are working with our first full-length album and it's supposed to be released before the end of this year.  Long term plans for me personally are to continue with this band as long as possible and keep its music interesting, to both band and listeners. I want to reach as wide audience as possible with music like this without making compromises when it comes to our music. 

Juho: To continue this thing as long as it feels good. To make records we like listen to and to play gigs as sweaty they've been this far!

Name an other Death Metal band from your country that everyone should hear.

Juho: Name just one? Revulsion. 

Free word.

Petri: Check out our brand new music video ”Trap of Reverence” in YouTube and listen to our ”Reptilian Verses” EP from last year!

Juho: Be brave and listen to some Casket Soil. And do it now! Feel free to spread the word also. Thanks.




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti